Frequently Asked Questions

Hug Point  Elopement - Photo: Xiomara Gard ImagoDei Photography

Where can we get an Oregon Marriage License?

You must have a valid Oregon marriage license to be married in the state of Oregon, and you (as a couple) are responsible for acquiring the marriage license from a county in Oregon.

Oregon State allows you to purchase a license in any county to be married anywhere in the state of Oregon.  Clatsop and Tillamook are the local counties on the North Oregon Coast.

Clatsop County Clerk's Office
820 Exchange Street, Suite 220
Astoria, OR 97103

Clatsop County Marriage License

** Must apply in-person **

Tillamook County Clerk's Office
201 Laurel Avenue
Tillamook, OR 97141

Tillamook County Marriage License

** Must apply in-person **

There is a 3-day waiting period in Oregon (this can be waived for a fee). The license is valid for 60 days.  You must be 18 years of age or older to apply.

Can I get an Oregon Marriage License by mail?

Yes! If you are from out-of-state, you may obtain a license via mail from Washington County.  

Washington County Courthouse

Phone: 503-846-8752

Washington County Marriage License

How do I select a time for my ceremony?

If you are planning a beach ceremony please be sure to check the tide tables prior to scheduling your photographer and selecting a time for the ceremony. You can check the tides by clicking here. This link takes you to Hug Point tide tables but you can change the location if needed.

Do I need a permit to have my wedding on the beach?

If you are planning a large ceremony (typically more than 50 guests) and/or you are planning to have structures on the beach (chairs, an arbor, etc) you should always check with the State Parks Department to determine if a permit is needed. 

 Call 1-541-563-8506.  

View more information regarding Special Use Permits here.

Doesn't it rain on the Oregon Coast?

Yes! The rain is one of the reasons for the lush green beauty of our state. There is a popular saying out here, "if you don't like the weather on the Oregon Coast, wait five minutes." It's true!  I always advise my couples not to worry about the weather. There is almost always a break in the rain (and sometimes even a rainbow!). If not, we'll bring umbrellas! Plus, the pictures in the rain are fabulous (see photo above).

Changing your name?

I recommend using this service to make the process easier!

 Service for changing your name.

What is a Certified Life-Cycle Celebrant®?

Life-Cycle Celebrants® are highly-trained ceremony professionals who are richly schooled  in the art of ceremony by the Celebrant Foundation & Institute. The Celebrant Institute's Gold standard, college-level coursework ensures that Celebrants enter the field as master co-creators and performers of ceremonies that reflect the needs and beliefs of the people they are honoring.  

Carolyn Greenwood - Celebrant

Carolyn Greenwood - Celebrant


Carolyn Greenwood - Celebrant

Carolyn Greenwood - Celebrant

Carolyn Greenwood - Celebrant


(503) 702-0737 (Call or Text)

Send Email